i've been learning: to configure the joystick...

Flightgear's default settings for panning the view with the joystick hat was way, way too fast for my tastes. It was so fast I found it unsettling! So, I wanted to ease it back to a more leisurely pace and like many things in FG it took a bit of searching to find exactly how to do it.

The first candidate I found was in file:///home/jeff/fgfs/fgdata/Input/Joysticks/Logitech/extreme-3d-pro.xml. According to the info included I wanted to reduce the 'step' values for axes 4 and 5. The default value was 5 so I reduced this to 2 and found that it had no effect whatsoever. So, I reasoned, there must be some other configuration file. 

Next, I looked at file:///home/jeff/fgfs/fgdata/joysticks.xml with its helpful note:

The second example shows how to load a driver directly to position 0. This will then be used for the first joystick on your system and FlightGear will not overwrite it.

This is the example it referred to:  

<js n="0" include="Input/Joysticks/Local/joystick_0.xml"/>

So I enabled the line and created a copy of the Logitech Extreme config file with the new 'step' values while making sure joysticks.xml pointed to it. I then started up FG. Sure enough, FG did use this file for my joystick settings. However, my previously mapped button assignments no longer functioned. So I figured those settings must be somewhere else. Where, Oh, Where Could They Be? I deleted my test config file and set joysticks.xml back to what it was.

Turns out, the config file is file:///home/jeff/.fgfs/Input/Joysticks/Logitech-Logitech-Extreme-3D-Pro.xml. Note that they are in the hidden DOT fgfs in my home directory. I'm assuming FG copies the config file from the FG home to the personal .fgfs directory either on install or when I configured the joystick from within FG. Regardless, THIS is the config file I was looking for. When I set the 'step' values for axes 4 and 5 to a leisurely 0.8 I got exactly the experience I was looking for. 

No more whiplash for pilot Calvin! 


<axis n="4">
<desc type="string">View Direction</desc>
<number>
<unix type="string">4</unix>
<windows type="string">6</windows>
<mac type="string">4</mac>
</number>
<low>
<repeatable type="string">true</repeatable>
<binding>
<command type="string">property-adjust</command>
<property type="string">/sim/current-view/goal-heading-offset-deg</property>
<step type="double">0.8</step>
</binding>
</low>
<high>
<repeatable type="string">true</repeatable>
<binding>
<command type="string">property-adjust</command>
<property type="string">/sim/current-view/goal-heading-offset-deg</property>
<step type="double">-0.8</step>
</binding>
</high>
</axis>



Comments

Popular posts from this blog